Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Annual Humbug Trip - With a Side Excursion!


China Dam - Sunrise on Humbug Creek
Saturday started off early - earlier than AZBackroads Girl is accustomed to waking up.  Met up with her off-road buddy Paul at 6 a.m.  At Lake Pleasant.  So I'd already been up and driving for 45 minutes - not to mention the 45 minutes before that to wake up, shower, pack up, and go.  BUT - we only had until 2 pm to explore, so early it is!  Shall we discuss the fact that I didn't get to sleep until 1 a.m.?  A mixture of being busy and excitement over going out caused me to not sleep.  

We didn't want to wake up Dave and Theresa at Humbug too early, so we decided to explore another homestead that Paul had discovered some time ago while armchair exploring on Google Earth.  Paul has already been - but I haven't - and I needed to go.  NEEDED.  Wasn't willing to take my truck, however.  His truck is "all grown up" and modified - mine is still a baby truck (we're fixing that, by the way - just bought skid plates!!)

Lake Pleasant from the trail
First stop after turning off on the Ft. Tule Creek road was the old China Dam.  I've been up here a hundred times and never seen the Dam.  So we made a little trek over to see it.  I was squealing and hyperventilating as we went down into a wash and up the other side - something I'm not sure I would have even taken the quads on back in the day (I thought it was really a tight V dip).  The FJ handled it like a champ, however.  Not sure why I was surprised.

The China Dam is on Humbug Creek and was built in the late 1880's for hydraulic mining purposes.  Not much more is known, except that it is a very popular place for off-roaders to go.  

I took a few pictures with my phone, but there were campers down there and we didn't want to disturb anyone at what was probably 6:30 a.m. or so, so back we went.  And over the scary little wash.  Which someone now found VERY funny because I was covering my face with my hands and squeaking like a mouse.  (Insert rolly-eyes emoji here)

Side Note - When did I become scared of basic off-roading?  My Dad took us all over the state of Colorado in the old Scout - and we went on some pretty hair-raising stuff.  I've never liked shelf-roads (heights aren't my thing), but seriously - when did this become "scary"?  

Latrine at the Homestead
Now we are off on the trail to the super-secret homestead from Google Earth.  It was an absolutely stunningly beautiful drive up into the Bradshaw foothills and up and around the creek.  Nothing too scary - had to find the correct route a time or two - but after we crossed the creek a time or two, all of the sudden I shout "I see stuff - I see stuff!!!"  On the other side of the creek I see old appliance trash - old refrigerators and washing machine shells.  I know we are close.  Paul runs the truck through the creek one last time and as we pop up the other side - I see old buildings!  I'm bouncing around all excited and can't wait to jump out and explore - there are a number of small buildings - and a latrine!  

Inside the main cabin are some built in bunk beds with sleeping bags and foam camp cushions (all newish), and a trunk with old books and the requisite Penthouse magazine.  It's just there for the articles though.  

I have no history at this time on this homestead.  It's on BLM Land - which is about all I know for certain.  I suspect it is an old homestead for cattle ranchers - but I'm still researching those land patents and it will take some time as the BLM/GLO records from the 20's and 30's are spotty.  

Paul and I poke around for awhile - looking at all the old trash, foundations, buildings, etc.  It's a beautiful place - but it's clear that at times the creek floods and the water gets up to some of the buildings as there is sediment build up inside - so perhaps not the best place in the world for a homestead - but it is gorgeous.  And someone spent a great deal of time building it.  If I find more information, I will post an update.  

After an hour or so of hanging around and exploring all around the area, we decide it's time to head to Humbug.

Saguaros above the Humbug Cemetery
Now I've posted about Humbug before.  So I'm not going to go in to any history - this is the annual Humbug Open House - always the first weekend in March.  Dave Burns graciously opens up Humbug to visitors who want to come and explore.  I've been going up there since 2010 and didn't take many pictures this time because I've taken so many on the 6 or so times I've been up there before.

Dave and Theresa were gracious hosts as always.  Paul didn't make it to the cemetery last time he was up here (2014) so Dave took us up there early before people started showing up so we could see where Newt White, Pat Fogerty and Johnny Lee are all buried.  We pay our respects, and found a single poppy amidst tons of lavender.  

Poppies in Humbug
As we hike back towards the Big House, we decide to head across the creek to check out the original homesteads of Joseph Champie and others - mostly just rubble foundations now.  There is a cool old stone smelter, and some other more modern stuff, including an old trailer, an outhouse, a chicken coop, and an old shed with a HUGE abandoned bee hive dripping with honeycomb.  

I find the old refrigerator that I take pictures of every time, take a few pictures, and I tell Paul that when I've opened it in the past, there was a huge black widow inside.  Guess who still lives inside the fridge?  The big fat black widow!

Humbug Big House from across the creek

Humbug is such a lovely throw back to a different time - the perfect place to spend a lazy day - especially when there are so few people up there.  When its busy, Dave teaches kids to pan for gold, and will give tours of the main Humbug ruins.  When I go to Humbug - I'm reminded of being a kid.  A time of exploring, hiking, no cell phones, no responsibilities - just wide open spaces that invite you to just "keep going."  Humbug is one of my most favorite places on Earth.  I've made friends, I've learned things, and I've simply sat back and taken it in.  

That is what Humbug was for me this year...pure bliss.

Vermilion Flycatcher in Humbug


No comments:

Post a Comment